Nick has helped form, capitalize, structure, and develop numerous businesses - ranging in size from new startups to large established companies. In addition, he has helped numerous families and business owners plan for their future with estate and business succession planning.
Nick is a native of Utah and completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Utah. After working for the Boys and Girls Club, Nick attended the University Of Montana School Of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor degree with Honors. Subsequently, Nick received a merit-based scholarship to study taxation at the University of Washington School of Law in Seattle, where he earned a Master of Laws (LL.M) in Taxation. Nick also completed his Masters of Business Administration (MBA) at the University of Montana School of Business. Before practicing at Bjornson Jones Mungas, PLLC, Nick practiced with the Missoula, Montana firm of Garlington, Lohn & Robinson, PLLP.
Nick’s practice focuses on:
- business planning and structuring;
- estate planning and business succession planning;
- probate administration and avoidance;
- creating and administering trusts;
- forming corporations, LLCs, Partnerships (as well as other entities) and advising on how they should be governed;
- structuring transactions involving traditional and/or seller financing
- structuring real estate transactions and developments;
- advising individuals and businesses regarding the various tax options available when forming, acquiring or disposing of a business, real estate or other assets;
- working to resolve tax disputes with the IRS, state, and local tax agencies;
- advising individuals and businesses regarding general tax issues;
- preparing private placement offerings;
- complying with various federal and state security regulation issues;
- structuring various renewable energy and low-income housing tax credit transactions; and
- asset protection planning.
Nick represents a diverse range of clients including banks and financial institutions, real estate development entities, title companies, entrepreneurs and start-ups, manufacturers, constructions firms, restaurants, distilleries, large corporations, and small mom and pop operations. Nick’s practice also includes a substantial amount of estate and business succession planning. The estates range in size from several million dollars, with complex tax planning, to simple everyday wills and trusts. Nick truly enjoys getting to know his clients and developing long-term relationships. Nick is admitted to practice law in the state courts of Montana and Washington.
In addition to practicing law, Nick has assisted in the editing and research of two legal textbooks (on the subjects of secured transactions and sales and leases), and he has been a guest lecturer at the University of Montana School of Law on tax issues. He volunteers with a variety of community organizations and is active in the Missoula community. Nick is currently active in the Missoula Chamber of Commerce. In the past he served as a board member of the Missoula Community Foundation, as chair of the Missoula Estate Planning Council, as director of the “Keystone Club,” a community service organization, and with ASUM Legal Services. Nick’s other activities have included coaching several athletic teams, such as baseball, basketball, and indoor and outdoor soccer. Some other organizations Nick has been involved with include the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, (Utah/Idaho Chapter) and Camp Ukandu, where he served as a volunteer counselor for children with cancer.
In his free time, Nick likes to go on frequent weekend road trips, enjoy Missoula’s great downtown and its many bike paths, golfing, and spend time with his wife Camille and their dog, Brynlee.
Areas of Emphasis
- Business and Corporate
- Business Formation and Start-Ups
- Estate Planning
- Probate Administration
- Real Estate and Land Use
Admitted to Practice
- State of Montana
- State of Washington
- University of Washington School of Law, LL.M. in taxation
- University of Montana School of Business, MBA
- University of Montana School of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Utah
- University of Montana School of Law, guest lecturer on tax issues
- Legal textbook editing and research (secured transactions; sales and leases)
- Missoula Chamber of Commerce
- Missoula Community Foundation, past Board Member
- Missoula Estate Planning Council, past Chair
- Keystone Club, past Director